Monday, November 19, 2012

MRIs and Why I Go Home Screaming

There are a lot of reasons to hate having an MRI.  These are a few of my least favorite ones.

First of all its cold. Oh I know that they try and keep the room at a comfortable temperature, but the fact still remains that once you take off you clothing, it's not a day at the beach with the sun warming you up.  And so my little body gets chilled.


I weigh 254 pounds give or take a few ounces and so pushing me into a tube designed for someone half my weight is no easy task. The expression about there not being enough room to change your mind was probably inspired by an MRI chamber.

OK, so now they squeeze me in and the first thing that I notice is I can't scratch my nose.  Even if  I was allowed to move about inside, remember there isn't enough room to change your mind much less move an arm from wherever you manage to place it in the beginning to be able to scratch the inevitable itch.

Noisy is hardly the word for it, clang clang clang goes the machine, I know it's made louder because of the acoustics of narrow tube.  The earplugs help a bit, but that noise interferes with...

Sleep time.  Now my first thought, was maybe if I go to sleep the time will pass by quickly.  Nice thought and it would have except that every once in a while they have to move the platform you are on in and out of the tube just enough to wake the sleeping baby resting finally in the womb.

...and so after surviving the itch, then being woke from my nap the worst part begins.

Claustrophobia, yes located  mere inches away from my face is the tube I am in.  I am sure it is nowhere near as close as my mind makes it to be.  Doesn't matter though, the brain is already running at full speed reminding me that after all of this, it takes too damn long for the results.



No comments:

Post a Comment